Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dark Youth of the U.S.A.

"Dark Youth of the U.S.A."


Sturdy I stand, books in my hand--

Today's dark child, tomorrow's strong man:

The hope of may race

To mould a place

In America's magic land.

American am I, none can deny:

He who Oppresses me, him I defy!

I am Dark Youth

Seeking the truth

Of a free life beneath our great sky.

Long a part of the Union's heart-

Years ago at the nation's start

Attucks died

That right might abide

And strength to our land impart.

To be wise and strong, then, studying long,

Seeking the knowledge that rights all wrong-

That is my mission

Lifting my race to its rightful place

Till Beauty and pride fills each dark face

Is my ambition.

So I climb toward tomorrow, out of the past sorrow,

Treading the modern way

With the White and the Black whom nothing holds back

The American Youth of Today.



-Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment